Author: Wayne T. Belina – South Florida Office (Peach State Roofing Inc)
Roofing is a complex science as well as an art. A proactive maintenance program in place can provide an average roof life of 21 years compared to 13 years with a reactive maintenance program, depending on the roofing system and building type. An effective roof management program is a win-win situation. The owner gets a trouble-free and cost-effective preventative program. With a proactive maintenance schedule in place, the average life-cycle cost is 14 cents per square foot. The average reactive maintenance life-style costs are 25 cents per square foot.
- Bi-annual roof inspections.
- Clean roof of all debris.
- Clean out all scuppers and drains.
- Seal and top off all pitch pans to avoid buildup of water.
- Check base and curb flashings for voids.
- Address all joints in metal perimeter coping.
- Aluminum coat all base and curb flashings.
- Identify deteriorations and/or damages to roof membrane.
- Address and caulk all joints in metal counter flashings.
- Identify roof damages from other trades.
- All damages or concerns found to be outside this scope of work will be documented and put into proposal form for the property manager’s consideration.
- Notify and update current roof system manufacturer of any/all changes to roof system as per warranty requirements.
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”